Thursday, March 19, 2009

Madelynn and the wisdom of a 1st grader

Madelynn says "Jordan is 16 now mom is going to get a girlfriend?"
I replied "I don't know, let's hope not!"
Madelynn then said in all her wisdom, "You told our class when you are 16 you could have a boyfriend or a girlfriend (story to follow) and Jordan is 16 so he should get one. Then I could meet her and we would have fun. Then they could get married and then I would be an aunt!"

Now the story about my class: I have problems every year with the kids wanting to be boyfriend and girlfriend or teasing others about being boyfriend and girlfriend. You know the k-i-s-s-i-n-g song etc. So I tell the students at the beginning of every year that in 1st grade you are to young to have a boyfriend or girlfriend. You cannot have a boyfriend or a girlfriend until you are at least 16 years old. If you want one before then you have to ask your parents. If your parents say it is o.k. they must send me a note giving you permission to have a boyfriend or a girlfriend. Well you know there are all kinds of parents out there and last year, yes, I got a note from a mother. Here is what is said (because I saved it, it was to funny to just simply throw away)

Mrs. Comstock,
_________ has been hounding me to write a note. So ________ can be his girlfriend. I keep telling him he's to young to have one! He insists he's not! So here is my note for him so he and ________ can be boyfriend/girlfriend. Silly kids!

I did not include names to protect the innocent! But yes a mother did write this note. I told her son that the girls mom had not written me a note so they COULD NOT be boyfriend and girlfriend! AH, the joys of teaching small children.

4 comments:

  1. I love it! What grade do you teach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! Way to cover your bases there--both parties must consent. You always have great ways dealing with the wonderful issues of those little kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky, you are such a good mom! I'm excited to catch up with you guys via blogworld!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete